Just because this week marks the birthday of Harry Potter and our beloved J.K. Rowling, you know that these two geeks here, Andy and Maya, could not resist but make an entire article about 20 magical life lessons you learn from Harry Potter, even as a young millennial! Happy Birthday, Harry!
Man, we can’t believe that this year is so big for Harry Potter! Just think of it! This year the first book turns 20 years old! Out in the world, anyway. That means it can legally drink and drive in Europe, hehe!
For us, the 90’s kids, this is the year we realize we are damn old! It feels like it was yesterday when we saw the first book in a library…
Because we love Harry Potter, and his universe so much, we wanted to make a special article with 20 of our favorite magical life lessons that we learned from the books and the movies!
You know we’re all about personal development, with a geeky twist!
But enough with the chit-chatting, let’s get to it!
20 Magical Life Lessons you learn from Harry Potter
- “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
It’s simple. It doesn’t matter what your start in life looks life, it matters who you become. In your 20’s is when you define who you really are.
Now is the time to create a strong basis for your adult life, or reinvent yourself if you must.
2. “Just be yerself. I know it’s hard. Yeh’ve been singled out, an’ that’s always hard.” ― Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
3. “I am what I am an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth bothern’ with.’” –The Goblet of Fire
When Hagrid said these, it hit me right in the core. I was always a geeky rocker that didn’t fit anywhere… or so I thought. The second I stopped trying to be anything but myself, I found my place.
Be proud of who you are!
4. “The world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters. We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” –The Order of the Phoenix
This makes you think about all those times you could have been mean to someone but decided not to act on it, doesn’t it?
5. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” ― Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
What I like to take from this is that what we do in life is far more important for our self-improvement than what skills we have.
Life in general:
6. “Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” –The Half-Blood Prince
The exact moment you move out for the first time feels exactly like this – the adventure begins!
7. “Thoughts could leave deeper scars than almost anything else.” –Ron quoting Madam Pomfrey, The Order of the Phoenix
Stop overthinking things or beating yourself down, please!
8. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
We all see life through our perspective, and only ours – that doesn’t mean that if you see something I didn’t, that’s not real.
9. “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.” – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Somehow, this brings consolation to me. It’s like Karma.
10. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals” – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
This is an important life lesson for every entrepreneur and future entrepreneur, especially. Be the one that treats even the person in the lowest job level with the same respect that you treat the ones you consider your equals.
That’s the gal/guy everyone loves and respects!