Just because this week marks the birthday of Harry Potter and our beloved J.K. Rowling, you know that these two geeks here, Andy and Maya, could not resist but make an entire article about 20 magical life lessons you learn from Harry Potter, even as a young millennial! Happy Birthday, Harry!
Man, we can’t believe that this year is so big for Harry Potter! Just think of it! This year the first book turns 20 years old! Out in the world, anyway. That means it can legally drink and drive in Europe, hehe!
For us, the 90’s kids, this is the year we realize we are damn old! It feels like it was yesterday when we saw the first book in a library…
Because we love Harry Potter, and his universe so much, we wanted to make a special article with 20 of our favorite magical life lessons that we learned from the books and the movies!
You know we’re all about personal development, with a geeky twist!
But enough with the chit-chatting, let’s get to it!
20 Magical Life Lessons you learn from Harry Potter
- “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
It’s simple. It doesn’t matter what your start in life looks life, it matters who you become. In your 20’s is when you define who you really are.
Now is the time to create a strong basis for your adult life, or reinvent yourself if you must.
2. “Just be yerself. I know it’s hard. Yeh’ve been singled out, an’ that’s always hard.” ― Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
3. “I am what I am an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth bothern’ with.’” –The Goblet of Fire
When Hagrid said these, it hit me right in the core. I was always a geeky rocker that didn’t fit anywhere… or so I thought. The second I stopped trying to be anything but myself, I found my place.
Be proud of who you are!
4. “The world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters. We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” –The Order of the Phoenix
This makes you think about all those times you could have been mean to someone but decided not to act on it, doesn’t it?
5. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” ― Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
What I like to take from this is that what we do in life is far more important for our self-improvement than what skills we have.
Life in general:
6. “Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” –The Half-Blood Prince
The exact moment you move out for the first time feels exactly like this – the adventure begins!
7. “Thoughts could leave deeper scars than almost anything else.” –Ron quoting Madam Pomfrey, The Order of the Phoenix
Stop overthinking things or beating yourself down, please!
8. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
We all see life through our perspective, and only ours – that doesn’t mean that if you see something I didn’t, that’s not real.
9. “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.” – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Somehow, this brings consolation to me. It’s like Karma.
10. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals” – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
This is an important life lesson for every entrepreneur and future entrepreneur, especially. Be the one that treats even the person in the lowest job level with the same respect that you treat the ones you consider your equals.
That’s the gal/guy everyone loves and respects!
11. “Curiosity is not a sin…but we should exercise caution with our curiosity.” –The Goblet of Fire
It’s okay to want to know more, but try not to get yourself lost in the pursuit of knowledge. Don’t do it all at once!
Just think about it this way. Let’s say you have decided to start a blog for example. At first, you’re intrigued, but then, you find that there are people that make huge money with it. You must know more! and more! and more!
You must know more! and more! and more!
And you know what happens next? You get a freaking headache because of all the info out there. And then you get discouraged…
This is why you need to be careful when curiosity hits.
12. “The truth.” Dumbledore sighed. “It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should, therefore, be treated with great caution.” –The Sorcerer’s Stone
You know how it is, especially in circles of friends. Sometimes it’s just hard as fuck to be honest, even to your bestie.
13. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” ― Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
This is super important for us, especially because our motto is:“Dream. Follow. Do”. Yes, it’s okay to dream, but don’t just dream… Do something to reach that dream, no matter how long it takes!
14. “You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.”― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, and the Half-Blood Prince
You can do anything if you truly want it. J.K. Rowling is a perfect example herself. She went from broke and borderline homeless to becoming a hundred millionaire.
True, it didn’t happen overnight, but none of the great things do!
Friends and Relationships:
15. “Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you’ve a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind.”― Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
We are both proud Ravenclaws here (shout-out to all the Ravenclaws!).
It’s okay to be different! You know, in Romania there is a saying that translated goes something like this: “Those who are alike get together”. And that’s exactly what this is about.
If you didn’t find your tribe, your true friends by the time you hit your 20’s, don’t despair. Now is the perfect time to find them and we’re sure you will.
16. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” ― Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Sometimes you will disagree with your friends and that’s perfectly fine! You’re awesome for standing your ground. And guess what? Your friends will respect you for that.
17. “After all this time?” “Always,” said Snape.” ― Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
True love last forever. That’s all we can say.
18.“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Lumos! There is always a little bit of light in every dark situation. Even if you don’t have a Deluminator from Dumbledore, you must try to see the good part.
The best example I can give you is my reaction to my grandfather’s passing. He passed last year, at the end of May, after 6 months hard battle with a rare and aggressive form of cancer. I was devastated, we all were.
I was devastated, we all were.
But, in all that shitstorm of sadness, depression, and tears, I was relieved. He wasn’t in pain anymore. Even though we were.
19.“Harry, suffering like this proves you are still a man! This pain is part of being human … the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength.” – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
This is a perfect quote to remember for every time you go through a break-up, or someone dear passes away, or any other painful experience you might have in your life, especially in your 20’s when you’re adapting to so much!
And… of course, what do you do when in doubt?
20.”Keep calm and go to the library.” ― Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Read! Never stop educating yourself and self-improve. You’ll always find your answers in books. From e-books to hardcover all the solutions are in the library.
And that’s all for today’s list of 20 magical life lessons learned from Harry Potter! If you loved it, don’t forget to share it, pin it, tweet it!
Our question for you is: What are your favorite magical life lessons from Harry Potter?