Being in your 20’s is hard. Everyone who’s been through it knows that. There’s so much shit going on that sometimes, you need a mental “pick-me-up” to help you cope with all the changes. That’s exactly why this list of 20 life quotes is so helpful when you’re in your 20’s.
A special “Happy Birthday!” in advance to my most beloved human, my one and only, Andy, who’s having his birthday this week. Yaaaaaay! Honey, this one is for you.
You know how hard life is in your 20’s. You’re considered an adult now, but you have no idea what goes where. You just moved out from your mom’s house, and you feel free, but that only lasts for like a minute.
Then, life hits… You’ve got bills to pay, and you need a job to pay them – and that one usually is not what you like and want to do. You need to cook, clean, and shop for yourself. And you still need to try to have fun, and time for yourself.
Because adapting to all these changes, and the much more that comes with them, can be hard, you need moral support! That’s why these life quotes are so important right now.
But enough chit-chatting! Let’s get to it!
20 life quotes you need to help you get through your 20’s
To help you chill out, from time to time:
1. “If I could have talked to my 19- or 20-year-old self, I would have said, ‘You’re going to be fine. It ain’t that serious!'” Queen Latifah
2. “You’ll be fine. You’re 25. Feeling [unsure] and lost is part of your path. Don’t avoid it. See what those feelings are showing you and use it. Take a breath. You’ll be okay. Even if you don’t feel okay all the time.” — Louis C.K., Untitled
Some of our favorites on this matter are these two quotes because they say exactly what you need to hear when you go a little bit out of control.
On the matter of personal development:
3. “When I was in my 20s, I was a lost soul. Your 20s are about finding your soul,” Oprah
4. “Our job in this life is not to shape ourselves into some ideal we imagine we ought to be, but to find out who we already are and become it.” ― Steven Pressfield, The War of Art
5.“ Accept who you are; and revel in it.” ― Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Hey, you’re unique, and awesome, and gorgeous just as you are. Don’t be afraid to show people what’s going on inside.
6. “I thought I knew everything about love and relationships in my 20s. The ignorance of youth is bliss. As you get older, you start to realize that you don’t really know anything and life is a great traveling journey. Life is unexpected…you just never know what’s going to happen.” Reese Witherspoon
7. “The moment you feel like you have to prove your worth to someone is the moment to absolutely and utterly walk away.”– Alysia Harris
8. “Every woman in her late 20s goes through a period where she just doesn’t believe love is out there anymore, but it is. And I think the minute you stop looking for it is when it comes for you” Kristen Bell
Anyone who’s been through early 20’s can tell you that the dating life is unexpected. Some people stress so much about finding “the one”, that they forget to live. Others go through toxic relationships and eventually walk away, and then just go numb.
Our advice is to stop stressing out, stop searching. It will come to you, and when it does, listen to your instinct, you’ll know if it’s real or not.
9. “Your 20s were for ‘ducking up,’ as my auto-correct would say, and learning from those mistakes,” Olivia Wilde
10. “A man who fails well is greater than one who succeeds badly.” – Thomas Merton, No Man is an Island
I love these quotes. They sum up perfectly what I wish someone had told me when I was 21, and stressing out over, what now are, stupid things. It’s more important what you’ve learned from your mistakes than the fact that you made them.
And guess what? Now is the perfect time to make them. You’re old enough so you understand why you were wrong, and still young enough so you have time to get back on the right track.
11. “Surround yourself with people who are only going to lift you higher.”– Oprah Winfrey
12. “Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust what you feel.”– Sonia Chuquette
These are some of the most important things to keep in mind, regarding how you choose your circle of friends. I was always the one with a love for self-improvement. And guess who is a big help in that matter?
You guessed it! Your entourage. The people who you surround yourself with may help, or damage – if you’re not careful, your evolution as an adult.
Embrace the unexpected
13. “Life will never feel like it’s ‘supposed to…’ If always trying to live like we’re ‘supposed to,’ we’re never going to actually live. – Paul Angone, 101 Secrets For Your Twenties
14. “Nothing ever happens how you imagine it will.”– John Green
Seriously, stop stressing about life so much. If you constantly create scenarios in your head, and in reality, you don’t get the same experience it doesn’t mean that it’s the end of the world.
15. “If you don’t make time to work on creating the life you want, you’re eventually going to be forced to spend a LOT of time dealing with a life you DON’T want.” Kevin Ngo
The main focus in your 20’s should be to figure out how you want to live and what you need to do to achieve that. That means to think of everything from your career, to how you decorate your living room.
Use these years to create the life you want, not the one you’ll later regret.
Always try to see the good side of things
16. “You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.” — Ziggy Marley
We know that’s one of the hardest things to do when life just sucks, but, just try it. Make it an exercise to see what’s good in any bad situation, and reward yourself after you’ve found it.
About self-love and confidence
17. “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation.”– John Wooden
18. “The best color in the world is the one that looks good on you.” — Coco Chanel
19. “Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance. Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion.” — Martha Graham
High-school is over folks. Stop stressing about stuff that doesn’t matter, like what people say or think about you, what you should wear, or how to dye your hair.
And most importantly, don’t be afraid to just be passionate, and to show it.
A little reminder
20. “And in the end, it is not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.” ― Abraham Lincoln
In all the mess and the stress, don’t forget to live! Experience life, relax, travel. You don’t have to do them all at once, just do stuff other than work and stress.
We couldn’t end this without talking about the journey, from the moment you set your goal, to the moment you achieved it.
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”― Maya Angelou
You should always be aware of the fact that nothing comes for granted, and for the most wonderful things, you’ll need to work, change, adapt.
And that’s it! We hope you enjoyed this list of 20 life quotes every young adult in their 20’s needs to be able to go through the most amazing time of our life.
Our question for you is: What other awesome life quotes helped you in your 20’s?