I have always been fascinated by all things DYI. Growing up I was surrounded by tailors at my grandparent’s house and we were ( and still are) used to recycle and make almost everything we use. I must thank my grandmother and my mother for this thirst for DYI.
Since we( my fiance Andy and I) moved 3000 km away from home, adjusting has been our main problem so far. But, one day at a time, it keeps getting better. When we first settled into our new house, I wanted to figure out what could be done to improve it.
The first thing I noticed was that I only had one tiny mat in my bathroom, and when it got wet, I had nothing to replace it with. Now that was a problem. We are still on a tight budget because for now he is the only one working, so I had to come up with something.
If you can relate to our problem, this is the place to be. The solution? Do it Yourself!
How, you ask? Like this:
What you need:
⦁ 2-3 old, large towels. I used some old beach towels that I had around the house.
⦁ a big needle
⦁ some string
⦁ a little bit of creativity
How to do it:
Because we came here by plane, I couldn’t bring my mother’s sewing machine with me, so when I need something fixed, I do it by hand, this is why I did it this way.
Before you start, know this. Things will get messy, so do this in a room without wind or you will have some issues with the mess. I had fluffy towel confetti everywhere!
1. Fold the towel in half and place it on your work table.
2. Start cutting long strings, about an inch thick. Try to cut as straight as possible.
3. After you have finished mutilating the old towel, you need to take 3 of those strings and sew them together at the ends.
4. Now, you start braiding it, like a tail, but don’t make it too tight.
5. If you get to the end of a string, just sew some more to the existing one, then continue with the braiding.
6. I wanted to make 2 towels, one for the front of the bathroom where the sink and the tub was, and another one for the seat, so I made two long strings, one a little longer than the other.
7. Now, I start designing my towel.
At first, I wanted to make it a simple, round one. But, instead, I ended up with a big oval one, and a smaller one. I placed the strings on the table. I started by sewing the string in shape while building my mat, slowly and carefully, until I got what I wanted.
8. After a few hours of hard work and determination, my work was done! Yay!
Tip. Don’t be afraid to try. oh, and also – use very sharp scissors.
My question for you is: How would you make your towel mat?